Monday, October 23, 2006

Eight things that can be better

1. More coherent reading lists
2. Better tutors who don't tell you they don't know about the assignments or the topic, for the matter. (For god's sake, what are you doing here then? Balek Kampong la!)
3. Less tag-alongs
4. People who don't mutter under their breath, "these chinese..." (Took all my restraint not to mutter under my breath too, "these brits".)
5. Flatmates who don't steal your food
6. Flatmates who don't leave their saucepans unwashed in the cupboard
7. Societies done for the sake of it, and not just because "it looks good on the CV". People here are more pragmatic than Singaporeans.
8. People who don't wake up in the morning with hangovers and smelling of alcohol

I am not unhappy in school. I am very occupied actually, wading through reading lists that don't make sense, wasting my time on completely unrelated material. It is just that this is not what i expect in a school in a supposedly advanced and civilised country. I want to walk out of class feeling like I learned something new, not stoned and feeling like time could be better spent elsewhere. Relative to opportunity costs of being halfway across the world from home, school can be much more enriching.

No comments: