Recently, went for lunch with a group of very nice, straight-talking people, and then rushed off to a meeting full of pleasantries and administrative intricacies. It has been hard adapting to the various social settings, especially if it is a very sudden switch. Having tried to meet too many different people in each week, all of whom I really enjoy being with, sometimes I fear rather irrationally of inadvertently saying the wrong thing and offending people. As some people know, it has gotten to the stage of me asking: "Hey, did i upset you?" It sounds really dumb. I used to think it's fine to just keep quiet and not talk at all if offence is a risk, but that strategy is not working cos it gives the impression of being dazed or pissed. And somehow, some time ago, keeping quiet at social outings ceased to be an option.
People have also told me different things, sometimes opposing advice, and I can't tell who will be right in the end. I can understand where they are coming from, but conscious choice is always hard. It is just a matter of lifestyle choices most of the time and different levels of morality/ apparent morality. It is also true that some people will be offended no matter what you do, and some are just from a different dimension altogether, so there is really not much point in accommodating them. Others just want to put you down.
URGH! I need to stop dithering, and just be myself.
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment