Saturday, February 24, 2007

A bit of everything

"Half of life is happiness, the other half is hardship," said Sai-O (the empress of the Sai Kingdom).

"I live in greater luxury, because I have greater responsibilities," said the empress of Kyou.

These two characters are from Twelve Kingdoms, my favourite anime. Cartoons present the realities of life simply, without hurting too much and cutting out the happy endings.

I remembered the wish on my 18th birthday, that I won't be in SG to celebrate it. I got that wish, but that was kind of silly, because for the next three years, it will be birthday, new year, CNY, dragonboat festival, mid-autumn festival and christmas in a foreign land.

Yes, masochistic me seeking self-punishment. But I get my fair share of rewards, I would think.

One and a half weeks ago, I went to Dublin for 3 days, where I would otherwise have gone only as part of some 12-day Europe tour. We travelled for an entire night to arrive in Dublin the next morning, tired and semi-comatose. It was folly, but also characteristic of a wild adventure. I loved the place, soaking in the atmosphere for three days, walking by the river, going to the various museums, eating fish and chips at the roadside and experiencing the qualitative distinctiveness of the place. Places of attractions are more or less the same everywhere, but each must feel different.

10 000 miles away from home, so that I can set up a base camp, from which to venture further afield.

More photos if you would click on the above image. =)

No comments: