School has always been very straightforward. We only have one goal in life: get good grades for everything including ccas, and god-knows-what-else is graded. Life without school means making so many more choices, some of which are rather irreversible, e.g. scholarship choices will determine your life for a good ten years. Brings to mind Paul Pennyfeather relieved about not making choices in prison while sitting in the regulated nine inches of warm water.
For all the self-professed and egoistic professions of maturity, I cannot understand how adults think, the excessively jaded and resigned cynicism. They just plod on. A good work environment vs. professional excellence? Money vs. enjoyment on the job? Have they thought about these and moved on? Or do these questions remain unresolved and are soon relegated to the idealism and naivety of youth? None of us, all trapped in the mentality of our particular age, can know.
Perhaps its the one-word solution to all Singaporean doubts: pragmatism. Consider the new Central Lending library. On basement 1, the non-fiction books rather than being arranged according to the customary dewy system, were placed according to whether the topics were deemed appealing to readers. So economics (300plus) was placed with human management(600plus) in the central aisle and everything else was clumped at the back. For all the promotion of life-long learning and the knowledge-based economy, perhaps we should be allowed to pursue our own interest in a bias-free environment. I can understand that such an arrangement is more convenient to some readers, but it encourages a singular pre-determined track. And those who choose to deviate from common interest, are completely disoriented.
Responding to jenn's post abt. the better world:
She says it will be better if people take things slower, are more forgiving and do their best not to hurt others.
I'm not sure whether she will agree, but perhaps in addition, people should be less judgmental, more concerned about their lives and the world and aim for perfection.
Maybe I am asking too much of mankind.
Cogito ergo sum: I think therefore I am. I think therefore I know I exist, but the more I think the more I am convinced that I live in a confused world (which Descartes conveniently relegated to God, beyond the confines of the first-person privilege).
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment